After you turn OFF the tv… (part 1)
… turn ON the activity! Summer is for FUN, so bring it on. Encourage kids to get involved in “real life” activities instead, such as joining a sports team, playing outside, or creating artwork.
Need specific ideas? Try these.
- Sign your kids up for swimming lessons and sports camps
- Try scouting activities (many councils have summer programming, and registration is open year-round)
- Try the local Y summer leagues, camps.
- Developmentally delayed kids should not be left out – contact your local Arc chapter for special Olympics, camps, and recreation leagues.
- Dig out that community education brochure, or call your city or school district to get a new one. There are often cooking classes, crafts classes, language classes, sports camps, and supervised open gym and weight training times.
Photo by Beniamin Pop