Attitude and image are everything
No matter where you work or what your job is, you can benefit professionally by being attentive to your attitude and image.
- Volunteer to take on new projects, especially the ones that are most challenging and likely to improve your chances of upward mobility.
- Don’t alter your look dramatically on Casual Friday. It implies that you’re not being yourself the rest of the week.
- Be a good listener. This seems obvious, but it is amazing how many people do not know how to listen.
- Always share ideas that may help others excel in their work. Every job is a team job.
- Dress “up” for the job you want, instead of for the job you have.
- Makeup (on women) increases the perception of professionalism. If you don’t know how to apply makeup to enhance your looks, get a makeover at a department store.