If your plans for the weekend include dining out keep this tip in mind; when it comes to making choices, no matter what the restaurant, you’re in the power seat!
Follow these tips for full fun, with no compromises.
- Eat something before you go. Even if you’re certain you can navigate the menu, having a little something before you head out will keep you from mindlessly nibbling on the bread, the chips, the appetizer for the table.
- Avoid appetizer samplers. Research at the University of Pennsylvania has shown that when people order a sampler they consume 10% more calories than they do when ordering a single item.
- Close the menu. This is the “out of sight, out of mind” principle. If you’re not looking at the pictures and the descriptions you’re less likely to be seduced away from your original plan. If you lay out your guidelines in a polite way almost any establishment can accomodate your requests. After all, this is what they do…feed people. You’re not going to be their first customer with a special request.
- Beware the broccoli. Yes the broccoli. Many restaurants will pair a side of steamed broccoli with a buttery, cheese laden entree. The broccoli is a good choice but it’s not a “get out of jail free” card. Be discerning about the pairings.
- Avoid anything with words like “indulgence” or “death by chocolate” in the name. These are aimed at your weekend mindset. ” Tough week? Indulge a little. You deserve it.” We’ve all felt that way but think about the great start you can have on Monday if you take good care of yourself all weekend.
Bottom line for a great night out….Leave your inner brat at home!