Just Breathe !
In our recent LIGHTEN UP class the coaches shared a definition of what it means to lighten, followed by a breathing exercise. We think that both of these are worth sharing here. Allow yourself the time to do this exercise and you may find yourself feeling more relaxed, lively and LIGHTER !
Definition of Lighten: increase in cheerfulness: to become more relaxed or lively, or make somebody or something become more relaxed or lively
Of course this is just one definition but it’s one that can apply so beautifully when moving towards your healthy lifestyle goal. With that in mind try the following exercise anytime you need to relax or relieve stress:
1. Sit in a comfortable position.
2. Put one hand on your belly just below your ribs and the other hand on your chest.
3. Take a deep breath in through your nose, and breath down to your belly to push your hand out. Your chest should not move.
4. Breathe out through pursed lips as if you were whistling. Feel the hand on your belly go in, and use it to push all the air out.
5. Do this breathing 3 to 10 times. Take your time with each breath.